At Zero Waste Strategies, our goal is to assist your business in saving financial and material resources by maintaining alignment with local waste, recycling, and composting policies, averting fines levied by the government for non-compliance, building long-term, sustainable business practices and boosting the visibility and reputation of companies daring to "Go Zero".
We believe implementing Zero Waste brings economic vitality, diverse job streams and boosts the local tax base.
What We've Achieved
- In 2013 and 2017, Zero Waste Strategies, LLC earned a Platinum Level certification through the Austin Green Business Leaders (AGBL) program, overseen by the Office of Sustainability. Proudly, ZWS has since maintained this status.
- In 2013, Zero Waste Strategies, LLC assisted SourceNet in removing toxic, outdated electronic waste when the company relocated its headquarters from Maryland to Austin, TX. ZWS ensured all e-waste was recycled responsibly through an ally non-profit group certified as an e-Steward organization.
- Soon after, ZWS worked with California-based Zero Waste Associates to research and formulate a Community Recycling Ordinance for the City of Ft. Collins, CO, which was approved by the City Council in Sept 2016.
- Also in September 2016, ZWS was trained by the City of Austin and earned certification in knowledge and implementation of the URO business recycling standards.
- In October 2015, ZWS was trained by the City of Austin and earned certification in knowledge and implementation of the C & D business recycling standards.
- Recently, ZWS led a detailed waste analysis for a 180,000 sq. ft. office property in downtown Austin. Our team sifted through 170 lbs. of discards to identify, separate, weigh, and catalog recyclable, organic, and other materials. Our report to the company revealed only 22% was being diverted properly, but by implementing our recommendations, we found a capacity for 90.65% diversion, which would exceed the city's Zero Waste goal!
- ZWS was recently awarded a contract with the City of Austin to implement Phase II of the Universal Recycling Ordinance (URO). The URO requires businesses to divert recyclables and organics, train staff and renters on proper recycling, and provide annual reporting to the city.
- ZWS was recently certified by the City of Austin as a 3rd party auditor to assist local facilities handling Construction & Demolition (C & D ) debris in becoming "Qualified Processors" which is a status encouraged in the City of Austin's new C & D recycling diversion requirements.